Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Lots To Be Thankful For

Thanksgiving was of course a little sad around here as everyone wants to be with family during the holidays. But, we’re all in the same boat, so there wasn’t too much moping around. The beautiful 78 degree cloudless day set a pleasant tone. As much as folks could, they made an easy day of it. But most people can’t completely take a break from the war. Patrols went as usual.

The Dining Facility (DFAC) staff went all out and dressed the place to the nines. It takes a lot of effort to give what is essentially a warehouse any ambiance. But I think they did that. There were tables of fruit, carved and arranged, a life-size teepee, streamers, enormous cakes for each of the resident units and several giant cakes that were bigger than my desk at work. The highlight of the décor was a village, made of food items, and its centerpiece, an ornate white icing cathedral. (I wish I could have taken photos of all this but cameras are not allowed in the DFAC. See previous blog entry.)

The food was great, and below is copy of the program. (The “wine” was actually sparkling grape juice – General Order No.1 was still in effect!)

I was thankful beyond measure to have a great group of people to enjoy the meal with. Our whole office went and managed to get a table together, and one of my good friends from across the base drove down to share the meal with us. That made the day for me.

You can get through anything with your friends.

-Toonces

1 comment:

rejoice said...

So glad you are posting again. Your site is wonderful and I am so glad my son has it linked to his blog. Pearl's mom.